Friday, October 19, 2007

WIDE SARGASSO SEA

Part 1.

When I read Wide Sargasso Sea for the first time, I found it hard to understand the general plot, and found the lack of emotion with which the author wrote frustrating, and made the novel less interesting. I think that the way in which she wrote was not in a way that was trying to entertain us necessarily, but to get a story told in the most unbiased way as possible- which would explain the lack of emotion. However, having read it again I can understand why she chose to write in this way, and that it can be quite effective.
One extract I found particularly clever was when she said, "I was certain that hidden in the room...there was a dead man's dried hand, white chicken feathers, a cock with his throat cut dying slowly, slowly." She doesn't elaborate on the point but uses the power of the description alone to make her point, which makes it more shocking because we are described it as vividly as the girl sees it in her imagination, with no skirting around the point.
Another thing I have noticed about the way in which Jean Rhys writes is that she often highlights certain words by putting them in a sentence of their own or by repeating them, "Persistently. Angrily." "slowly, slowly," and "Better. Better, better than people." This makes the text a lot more dramatic, but can easily be overused so it loses it's effect- and I'm not sure if this is the case in part one. It's a modern way of writing, and is probably very rare in Jane Eyre if it appears in it at all, which shows a contrast between the atmosphere of the two novels; Wide Sargasso Sea is more sharp, fast moving and dramatic, whereas Jane Eyre is more descriptive and follows a more ordered way of writing events. Wide Sargasso Sea is a very different style to Jane Eyre, but there are very strong connections between the childhood of Jane and the childhood of Antoinette- and having read Jane Eyre first it does feel like she is stealing ideas sometimes.

9 comments:

Amy said...

its interesting that you found the lack of emotion in some sections frustrating...i enjoyed the subtlety and the amount of freedom the reader had for creating their own version of events. did you enjoy the amount of emotion in JE?

Donald said...

I don't think Rhys is stealing ideas. I think this is a clever and creative development of ideas within JE.

I like your comment about the power of the description alone makes the point. This is what I like in her writing. Don't we get a better reader experience in WSS? Because we have to work for it?

Donald said...

I don't think Rhys is stealing ideas. I think this is a clever and creative development of ideas within JE.

I like your comment about the power of the description alone makes the point. This is what I like in her writing. Don't we get a better reader experience in WSS? Because we have to work for it?

Anonymous said...

Heyas Megavich! I agree that it does take a while to fully grasp what is going on and to adjust to Rhys' very different, less romanticized style of writing in part 1 (different in part 2?), but once I understood what she was doing I also really liked her matter-of-fact, blunt of speaking. I can see were you are coming from where you say that it feels like Jean Rhys is plagarizing Jane Eyre sometimes, though I personally think that it is very clever how she draws the links between the two books.

Vanilla said...

I ahve to admit i found the whole lack of emotion creepy more than frustrating or boring. How old is Antionette supposed to be at this time?

Megan said...

wow, a lot of comments. Well. I think I did like the emotion in Jane Eyre- maybe it shows I'm a lazy reader or something I don't know, but I only find the WWS style of writing good when I have to study it in depth like we have done, if I read it outside of college I would just be annoyed that I had to fill in the gaps. And yes Elle, it's true, it IS creepy, I hadn't thought of it like that...

Amy said...

i reckon Antoinette removes emotion from what she is saying because it is too painful to describe it with emotion...i know i wouldn't be able to tell some of these events to someone with emotion... i think it makes it more believable,like when Helen told Jane she over exaggerated and Jane started telling stories with less emotion...i'd be the opposite in terms of what i'd enjoy reading outside of studies, i wouldn't reread JE but i would with WSS...

Vanilla said...

personally, i don't think its a matter of wanting to re-read WSS, i had to read it again to understand what was going on! I found the lack of emotion a sign of Antoinettes madness rather than her being traumistised

Camille said...

I agree that the lack of emotion might be due to the fact that within Bertha is so much emotion that she feels that if she lets any of it out she might not be able to keep the rest in, so she might like explode...or go 'mad'. Which may go some way into explaining why she goes crazy. She might feel that now that she's ssafe with Rochester she can, in a sense, let him into that part os her, allow him to know who she is on the inside. So, perhaps, maybe if she had let some of that emotion out she wouold have been seen as 'mad' earlier on in the novel. So maybe she should never have shown that side of her to Rochester, then he wouldn't have locked her up, maybe.